Spain

Spain

Monday, November 1, 2010

Weeks are flying

Last week was really nice. I had class and they all went really well, except for Stats lecture which is so large and it is 2 hours with 400 people attending and it just isn't conducive to learning. But other than that everything went well.

But now I am stressing a bit because 3 of my 4 formative essays are due this week and although they are not worth anything (grade wise) I sort of need to do them for practice and so I don't look bad in front of my professors. I know they will help, potentially help, in the long run but its just a lot at once.

I went out with my globals program on Wednesday to celebrate 4 birthdays and to see one of the global students preform in a show. He plays the Spanish guitar, while his band mate sings and plays. The bar was really nice and cool and we had a great time celebrating.

I finally saw The Social Network and I know more than I probably ever wanted to know about Mark Zuckerberg but it was a really good film.

Halloween isn't celebrated in London like it is in the US but I did manage to head out to a party and dress up with some other students in my program. It was a really fun night and some people had some cool costumes.







I finally made it to Spitalfields Market and Brick lane Market and they were both really cool and even with the tourists, you felt like a local.

Southwark Cathedral near my home is beautiful and I finally got a chance to go inside!

Sorry to vent but  I must. So here is my little rant about the tube in London. The tube is essentially the subway, underground, metro, L, etc. The tube is easy to naviagte and is warm (well usually hot) but there are a few issues. First of all the last train runs at 11:30 pm during the week and only until 12:30 am on the weekends. This system is extremely inconvienent when you want to stay out past midnight and have an effecient and less expensive way to get home. The tube also closes down entire lines for "repairs" on the weekends. This is extremely frustrating, not only for tourists, but also for anyone who wants to get anywhere important. Of course there are always buses, but in traffic they are very slow and the double decker ones make me nausous...

Anyway the also have tube strikes. These are pre-planned days when tube workers just don't work for an entire day. Not tube, no stations, nothing. Would we get away with this in the US? Probably not and its really only hurting those who ride the rails. Perhaps they will eventually win and get more money and can work longer weekend hours. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment