Spain

Spain

Friday, October 1, 2010

A real live tourist


Hey,

Well I had my first programme (that's how they spell it here, very posh) orientation and department orientation. Not much was really finalized but I met the people in my specific program, which is one year in London and the second year in Shanghai and, drum roll please, there are 8 people! (possibly 10?) I guess that is more than half the size of last years program which consisted of about 20 people. Perhaps it is all for the best though.

Classes officially begin on Monday! As of now I am taking my required courses and one elective on The Audience in Media and Communication. We will see how it goes. You are allowed to audit classes as well and just check them out to see if they are a right fit for you.

The British University system is, so far, much different then the US. We have already chosen our courses for Lent term (Spring term) and in Summer Term we have exams and larger papers do for course in Michaelmas term and Lent term. It will be an adjustment for sure.

Well this afternoon some people in my programme and in my department are going to spend tonight and tomorrow night at Cumberland Lodge. Its about 1 hour and a half outside of London. It is what a Londoner would call, "the real England". I am excited for the retreat and will take many photos!

It is amazing how international London is. I bet 1 in every 10 people you meet are actually from the UK (could be a slight exaggeration). My University is 70% international students. From that statistic alone you can see just how diverse and appealing London is to the rest of the world.

I was a bona fide tourist yesterday and got a chance to see the famous places in London. These including Buckingham Palace (although I was 20min late for the Changing of the Guard, which happens on all even numbered days in Sept and Oct) and James Park. James Park is so lovely and there is so much green space in London! Its a TPL employees paradise ;) ;)

I also saw Trafalgar Square and went into the basement of St Martins in the Fields. I am planning on going back when it gets colder for their traditional afternoon tea. Although I am sad to say that it is much larger (they expanded) and not as secretive as it once was. I guess tourists can find it more easily but I miss how exclusive it use to be.

I stopped into the National Portrait Gallery and walked to the Thames to see the London Eye and Parliament. The weather was absolutely lovely yesterday, while today it is wet. Very wet. Oh London.





Off to pack and to the Lodge! I will write more soon!

Also check out my facebook page for photos or my flickr photo stream!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment